Good morning my friend. I’m here with your Thursday edition of the Smithtown Journal. Read on for all the community news you need to know right now, including updates on:
- Suffolk winter lights Lantern Festival.
- funny sweet rose Raptors Fundraiser.
- One Podcast Project Preserve Long Island’s history and more!
But first, today’s weather:
Showers and storms; brisk. High: 74, Low: 50.
Shout out to our key local sponsors:
Looking to buy or sell a home in the Smithtown area? Nick Albanese of Douglas Elliman has lived in our area for 59 years and understands the ever-changing Smithtown real estate market like no one else. For the past 28 years, Nick has focused on helping sellers and buyers throughout Suffolk County and using his knowledge of finance, contracts, negotiation and marketing to your greatest advantage. For in-depth local knowledge and expertise, please contact Nick here.
Want to see your business in this place? Click here to get started.
Here are five of Smithtown’s top stories today:
- The Smithtown Historical Society hosts the Suffolk Winter Lantern Festival in November. From November 4th to early January, the night will be illuminated by handcrafted lanterns in the shape of animals, mushrooms, flowers and more. Save the date! (showing Cricks)
- Rock N’ Raptors Fundraiser to Begin October to Benefit Wildlife at the Sweet Briar Center in Smithtown. Tickets are now on sale for the event, which includes a 70s Street Fighter parade, live music, birds of prey, food and more. Doors will open at 2pm on October 2nd. All are welcome. (Sweet Rose Center)
- Smithtown Pasta House is the new restaurant in town, offering the community an exciting variety of hot dishes. New restaurant manager Christina Costello said it was a family-friendly Friday/Saturday night Italian tapas place with a menu to suit every taste. The restaurant is located at 65 East Smithtown Street and is open Tuesday through Saturday at 3 pm and Sunday at noon. (Great Long Island)
- Smithtown Public Library has proposed a new project aimed at preserving Long Island’s history. Community members who want to share their memories and experiences will work with Stony Brook Librarian Chris Kretz to learn how the Recording Memory Podcast can create a source of information for future generations. Visit here to learn more about the project. (Smithtown Public Library)
- long island State Farm has partnered with the Roc Solid Foundation to provide playsets for children battling cancer. Emma, from Lake Grove, who is battling leukemia, received a complete playset to install in her grandmother’s backyard. (Smithtown patch)
Help us improve the patch:
Our user research team is interested in learning about your experience with Patch.this is your chance Provide direct feedback and help us serve better you and your community.Your portion of our research will consist of a 30- to 60-minute interview, and You will receive a $25 Amazon gift card by email for your time. Interested in? Register here to participate. If you are selected, we will contact you directly to set your appointment time. Thanks – hope to see you soon!
Today in Smithtown:
- Smithtown Metro 31 Days of Halloween Horror Movie Challenge. (9:30am)
- farm friends (Smithtown Library – Kings Park Building). (10:30am)
- Apple Print Fun (Smithtown Library – Smithtown Building). (11am)
- Library Play Dates (Smithtown Library – Commack Building). (11am)
- chair yoga (Smithtown Library – Nesconset Building). (11:30am)
- Night Owl Coffee Book Discussion Group (Smithtown Library – Nesconset Building). (7pm)
From my notebook:
- Smithtown Library Children: “Save the date for ‘SmithCon’ 2022 and join us to meet and say hello to some of your favorite characters! Join us at Smithtown Mansion on November 5th for photos, crafts and fun. Don’t forget to put on your costumes !” (Smithtown Library Kids via Instagram)
- Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts: “Have an exciting day at SPAC! Our commitment to restoring this historic building continues. Today we began the first phase of a complete HVAC replacement. SPAC is getting brand new energy efficient installations and is in the process of Do air filtration.” (Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts via Facebook)
- Smithtown Kickers Football Club: “Last Saturday kicked off the first week of our TOP Soccer program! TOP Soccer (US Soccer Outreach Program) or ‘Special Soccer’ is a community program for young athletes with disabilities designed to bring opportunities.” (via Facebook’s Smithtown Kickers FC)
- Smithtown Department of Public Safety: “September is National Preparedness Month to raise awareness of the importance of disasters and emergencies that may occur at any time.” (Smithtown Public Safety via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting Local News!
You are officially in the loop today. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Deborah Whitehead
About Me: Got a story idea? Don’t hesitate to contact me! I would love to hear your opinion! Wife, Mom, Foodie, Traveler and Nature Lover.
Got a news tip or suggestion for the upcoming Smithtown Journal? Contact me at Smithtown@Patch.com.