Hello everyone! I got back to your inbox this morning with all the most important things happening locally. Today you will read about…
- election day Guide information.
- hydrant flushing program Hour.
- Community Things that happened and more!
But first, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny; windy and cool. High: 64, Low: 49.
This great local business sponsors the Smithtown Journal. We love their work, and we think you will too:
Looking for a real estate agent with deep expertise in the Smithtown area? Veronica Mannarino of Douglas Elliman has lived in our area for 35 years and has 18 years of experience in the local real estate market. Veronica has a solid reputation among sellers and buyers, whether using her interior and exterior home furnishing experience to prepare a home or helping buyers find the perfect home that meets their needs and budget. Visit Veronica today to learn more.
Click here to have your business appear in this location.
Here are the top five stories from Smithtown today:
- Election day is scheduled for November 8. Registered voters can go to various locations in Nassau and Suffolk counties to vote early. For those wondering where and when to go, visit the location guide here. If you would like to register or visit the New York State Board of Elections, please visit: https://www.elections.ny.gov/. (New York State Government)
- The Smithtown Water District will flush fire hydrants Monday through Friday night until October 7. This program is designed to remove excess iron and rust from mains. It will be community-wide from 10pm to 3am (Smithtown Township)
- Smithtown Shredder Day, held at the Kings Park Municipal Services Facility this month, helped the community process 7.76 tons of paper. The event is held twice a year and the service is free. According to the town records, 256 vehicles were involved in the disposal of the documents. (Smithtown Township)
- Looking for a family outing this weekend? Hoyt Farms is hosting Commack Day on Saturday, September 24th from 11am-5pm Looking forward to outdoor fun for all ages, food vendors, and more! All profits from this community event will be donated to the Eric Spinato Foundation. (repair)
- September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicides among schoolchildren are on the rise. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention aims to create a mental health program for Long Island schools. The suicide prevention hotline 988 or 988lifeline.org is available 24 hours a day. (Long Island News 12)
Help us improve the patch:
Our user research team is interested in learning about your experience with Patch.this is your chance Provide direct feedback and help us serve better you and your community.Your portion of our research will consist of a 30- to 60-minute interview, and You will receive a $25 Amazon gift card by email for your time. Interested in? Register here to participate. If you are selected, we will contact you directly to set your appointment time. Thanks – hope to see you soon!
Today in Smithtown:
- All Abilities Sensory Movies (Smithtown Library – Nesconset Building). (9:30am)
- friday foundation (Smithtown Library – Smithtown Building). (10 o’clock in the morning)
- story kids (Smithtown Library – Commack Building). (10:30am)
- baby playground (Smithtown Library – Kings Park Building). (11am)
- Friday Movie Matinee (Smithtown Library – Smithtown Building). (2pm)
From my notebook:
- Smithtown Patch: “Five Smithtown footballers make Newsday’s top 100 list!
The Smithtown football star made the publication’s 2022 list of 100 women’s football players. ” (Smithtown patch)
- Sweetbriar Nature Center: “Not everything needs to be rescued. We get hundreds of calls every day about wildlife. Watch this amazing mother rabbit caring for her older baby.” (Sweetbriar Nature Centre via Facebook)
- Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts: “The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts is opening ‘Light Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical’ in 9 days! Let’s meet one of our swings, Amanda Sidman! (Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting Local News!
OK, you are all great today! See you later.
— Deborah Whitehead
About Me: Got a story idea? Don’t hesitate to contact me! I would love to hear your opinion! Wife, Mom, Foodie, Traveler and Nature Lover.
Got a news tip or suggestion for the upcoming Smithtown Journal? Contact me at Smithtown@Patch.com.