Children’s Book Fair and Autumn Garden Expo will return this weekend | DayDayNews Evening Digest

The 35th Annual Children’s Book Fair and the 61st Annual Fall Garden Show returned for the first time in full this weekend, following two years of festivities curtailed or invalidated by the pandemic.

The weekend kicks off with the Fall Garden Fair, the counterpart to the Spring Fair and Chicago’s oldest community garden sale. It will be held at Hyde Park Mall, 55th Street and Lake Park Avenue on Saturday, September 17 from 9am-4pm.

after great success Spring Garden ExpoAutumn sales will be slightly smaller, mainly selling bulbs and chrysanthemums, including some specialty bulbs (such as alliums and irises), daffodils, tulips, crocuses and hyacinths.

Joy Rosner, chairman of light bulb sales for 35 years, ordered light bulbs from the Dutch Light Bulb Company, which sold Dutch light bulbs from the Netherlands—a longtime destination for light bulb sales and the origin of the 17th-century “tulip mania” location speculative frenzy Tulip bulbs imported from the Ottoman Empire.

Orders are late this year because of summer heatwave in europe, Rosner said. However, about 9,000 bulbs will be sold on Saturday, and they’ll only be missing the paper white, a daffodils suitable for forcing (grown indoors, not outdoors).

There are also some houseplants and perennials, such as ornamental plants like kale, cabbage, and peppers. Plant anything this fall.

“A good gardener wants to have plants bloom from March to November,” says organizer George Ramsay. He added that most years he blooms in February, like snowdrops, which, as their name suggests, grow out of the snow. Chrysanthemums are immediate flowering plants, while bulbs are left in the ground until they bloom in late winter and early summer.

The bulbs rely on cold, and they should be kept in the refrigerator or planted about 6 inches deep in the soil, Rumsey said.

Both Rumsey and Rosner stress that a day run entirely by volunteers will have plenty of people to answer any questions about fall planting.

“They should definitely talk to anyone of us who sells there because we all grow these bulbs in our own yards. You know, we have experience with Hyde Park so we know what’s working and what’s coming back, squirrel digging what,” Ramsay said.

Profits from the show are distributed to non-profit organizations in various regions, with approximately 60% of which are used to maintain the gardens of Nichols Park to grow housean urban farm, workforce development center, and nonprofit social enterprise in Englewood, and to other community groups upon request; the remaining 40% goes to Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Meeting.

“(The bulbs) are really awesome. It’s such a bright color for the winter and early spring slump, when everything is grey,” Rosner said.

Children’s Book Fair

The Children’s Book Fair will be held on the corner of 57th St. and Kimbark Ave. on Sunday, September 18, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

exposition is held last year at Lei Primary School5631 S. Kimbark Ave., but on a much smaller scale than in years past.

This year’s show will still be smaller than the one held before the pandemic, but will feature crowd favorites – Martha’s Music, Music Teachers in Hyde Park, Suzuki South, Hyde Park Dance School and several storytellers people. State Sen. Robert Peters (D-13th) will also read his favorite book, “Where Are the Wild Animals.”

As with previous book fairs, children can pick up books and visit 20 community organizations and vendors, meet local authors, listen to readings on the Fairy Castle and Big Green House (from “Good Night Moon”) stages, and watch music and dance performances . They will also have a sketch artist and balloon animals.

Mother Goose and the Kenwood College Band will lead the parade at 11:30 a.m.; anyone in costume is welcome to parade with them, Claude said.

“We’re just trying and being real this year,” first-time organizer Patricia Crowder said.

Claude organizes the book fair with her grown daughter, Anna Sawyer, who attended the fair every year as a child. “You can see it from our front window,” Crowder said.

The theme of this exhibition is Banned Books, to mark the start of Banned Books Week on Sunday, and they will feature essays on banned books, as well as prizes for the best.

Founded by Rebecca Janowitz in 1986 as a way to save the O’Gara and Wilson Bookstore (then at 1448 E. 57th St.) from a lease dispute, the book fair was held in Nichols Park for several years before returning to the 57th street. (formerly known as the 57th Street Children’s Book Fair).

All events will be held on 57th Street between Woodlawn and Dorchester Avenues and on Kimbark Avenue between 57th and 56th Streets.

“I think a lot of people who have missed the show over the past few years will enjoy seeing their old favorites,” Crowder said.

.

Leave a Comment